Skip to main content

Reading Graphs Maps Trees


In the course of reading Graphs Maps Trees by Franco Moretti, I experienced several different reactions. In the beginning, I was a little confused while reading the “Graphs” chapter. I had a hard time following the information that was being presented and I kept going back to previous passages for clarification. Initially, I just assumed my confusion was due to my unfamiliarity with the topic. Being a “lit” person, graphs haven’t come up too often in the courses I have taken and the scholarship I have studied. However, eventually, I was able to make sense of the information in the chapter and I found myself really engaged and interested in learning more about the rise and fall of the various genres of novels in Britain in the eighteenth and nineteenth century.

Conversely, I was completely drawn into the “Maps” chapter of the book. From the first paragraph of this section, everything kind of “clicked” with me. I was particularly struck by Barrell’s quote from The Idea of Landscape and the Sense of Place 1730-1840 regarding the open-field parish geography, “for those of its inhabitants who rarely went beyond the parish boundary, the parish itself was so to speak at the center of the landscape. . .For those inhabitants accustomed to moving outside it, however, and for those travelers who passed through it, the parish was. . .defined not by some circular system of geography but a linear one” (qtd. in Moretti 38).

After reviewing the various maps in this chapter, this idea made a lot of sense to me. When reading a novel, or short story, or any type of narrative text, the reader’s understanding of the geography of the story is influenced by the knowledge of the narrator. If the narrator is a permanent and familiar fixture in a community, their knowledge of the location is circular. They are personally familiar with the details that surround them in their day-to-day life, and their intimate knowledge of the location lessens as distance from the locations (in any direction) grows. However, a narrator experiencing a place as a temporary figure just passing through only experiences and encounters whatever they pass on the road. They generally have little to no knowledge of the surrounding areas.

I guess the question then becomes, as Moretti suggests, how does this perspective or knowledge add to our understanding of literature? For me, as a reader, this type of information and this perspective of looking at the text only enhances the reading experience. Considering the knowledge of the narrator and their place or role in the geographic location of the story allows me, as a reader, to better understand the story as a whole.  

Works Cited

Moretti, Franco. Graphs Maps Trees. London, Verso, 2007.

Comments

  1. I agree that graphs, maps and trees allow the reader, I think a particular type of reader, better access to the material and, in turn, a deeper understanding. I actually struggle with reading at times. This is probably an attention issue, but as I'm given a concrete picture, I'm able to escape the jumble of words momentarily and allow my mind to venture into another type of understanding of the scenario at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment lists me as Unknown, for some reason. That's from Jennifer Mims :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My master's degree is in psychology, so I am always fascinated in the factors that influence products, such as history or the economy. I have the pleasure of having discussed something similar to Barrell's quote regarding the geography in an English literature class some years ago while reading "Mary Barton". Taking into account the perspective of others allows the reader to not only understand the words written but also imagine him or herself in the setting and situations; therefore, I completely agree with your assessment this type of information provides enhancement of enjoyment. I would also add it provides an opportunity for empathy.

    Abigail Mosley

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, maps must matter to me as well. In preparation for my women writers class, I found myself mapping out Esperanza's neighborhood (The House on Mango Street). It really gave me (then us/the class) a different experience, as Esperanza rides her bike past the corner store, the laundry mat, the "junk shop," etc. The streetlight Louis hit with his yellow cadillac. I've read/taught before, and I'd never thought to do this.

    I also dig this quote: --
    Barrell’s quote from The Idea of Landscape and the Sense of Place 1730-1840 regarding the open-field parish geography, “for those of its inhabitants who rarely went beyond the parish boundary, the parish itself was so to speak at the center of the landscape. . .For those inhabitants accustomed to moving outside it, however, and for those travelers who passed through it, the parish was. . .defined not by some circular system of geography but a linear one” (qtd. in Moretti 38).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts Before Class - Week 3

Before the semester I really had no idea what digital humanities was. Then, after our first class meeting, I went from knowing absolutely nothing about digital humanities to becoming extremely overwhelmed. At this point, after making my way through some of the readings over the past couple of weeks, I feel like I'm starting to have a little better understanding of what the term means and what the field consists of. I have also quickly learned that the field of DH is extremely broad and reaches many different disciplines, but also offers lots of opportunities for interdisciplinary connection. The readings for this week include the introductions to The Emergence of the Digital Humanities and Doing Digital Humanities . I read The Emergence of the Digital Humanities first and was a little surprised at the detail and attention given to 3D Printers. And while I may not have completely understood the whole point the author was trying to make, one particular idea did resonate with me. ...

New Digital Worlds - Roopika Risam

So, I was scrolling through #AcademicTwitter the other day and I stumbled across Roopika Risam's twitter account . After reading New Digital Worlds , I obviously had to check it out. It turns out, she has a very active Twitter presence. She shares a lot of information about her own scholarly work as well as interesting work by other similar scholars.  I felt a little bit like an academic fangirl when I stumbled across her account, and I thought some of you guys might also want to check her out. 

More Thoughts About The Final Project

I've been thinking about my final project a lot lately. And, as I've mentioned before, I'm working with John Steinbeck and his biographical and non-fiction works. I haven't been able to find many digital projects specifically about Steinbeck, and I was a little worried that I might not have a clear enough idea of exactly what I want to do. I've mentioned before that I'm going back and forth between the ideas of a timeline project or a mapping project.  In class, Katie shared a really great timeline project, the Victorian Women Writers Project. I was super excited to see this project because it was really similar to the timeline ideas I have for my Steinbeck project. I spent a little time looking around this website and I was thinking about how I could adapt this to my own ideas. But, although this timeline is really helpful, I still can't shake the mental images I have for a mapping project.  So, as Dr. Carter mentioned in class, I started looking aroun...