NOTE: I took notes and made comments as I watched the lecture video from Thursday night. This post is made up of the thoughts, comments, and questions that came to my mind as I watched and listened the lecture and discussion. If the post seems a little choppy, that's why. 🙂
*******************
Glad
to know I wasn’t the only one confused with all the D2L and submissions. LoL!
I
really appreciate the checklist and looking ahead to what’s coming up in the
next week. This is very helpful. Thanks!
Thanks
for spending time clarifying the DH project presentation. This is very helpful.
I feel much more sure about what to do now.
I
found the points that Katie made in discussing her article very interesting.
The contrast between “checkbox data” and “lived experience” is so significant. I think
it’s safe to assume that in most cases so much more information about a person
or their life would come from looking at their lived experience as opposed to
their “census data.” I agree with Katie’s point that as technology progress,
the opportunities in DH to begin looking in these grey areas and the
opportunities to break down some of these barriers will only continue to grow.
I
think Daniel was the next one to present (I couldn’t hear the name clearly in
the recording. Apologies if I got it wrong). “Where is Methodology in Digital
Humanities” – Digital humanist is both knowledge worker and information worker? Interesting thought.
“Technology
is human made, so it is all infused with everything that humans do that’s right
and good and terrible and proper” ---- *Mind
Blown* I think this is such an interesting observation. I think this makes
me just consider how passively I (and I assume, others) consume and use
technology. I mean, I know that technology is all man-made, but to take that
next step to assign all the things that humans do to the technology they create…well,
I’ll have to think on this a bit.
Loni
– “The Difference Between Digital Humanities and Digital History.” I also chose
this article. I think I agree with Robertson. I like the idea of DH being a house
with each discipline having its own room. Maybe it’s just a little bit of my
Type A personality coming through, but the idea of everyone and all their separate
disciplines all thrown together in one big open tent just makes me a little overwhelmed.
I prefer clear definitions and clear organization. I think the metaphor of the
house is also beneficial because it provides clear definition of others outside
my own discipline. This would be helpful in helping to know which other “room”
to go to when input and expertise from another discipline is needed.
“On
the Origins of ‘Hack’ and ‘Yack’” - *Technical Difficulties*
Mapping the Republic of
Letters
– This is such an interesting project. I love the idea of tracing the relationships
and friendships, as well as the geography of these communications. I think I
may have found a new rabbit hole to dive into.
The Emergence of the
Digital Humanities
– I, too, am very interested in this discussion about video games. I hope we
get to visit this topic more. I think there are some really interesting things
to look at in video games from a literary perspective: storytelling, character development,
lore, etc. I’ve often wondered if there was a place in academics to discuss and
analyze these types of things. I’m guessing DH is a great place to start.
I
saw the Easter Egg!!! LoL!
Comments
Post a Comment