Skip to main content

Thoughts After Class - Week 4


Once again, this post is made up of the thoughts, comments, and questions that came to my mind as I watched and listened the lecture and discussion. 

***************** 

Checklist is super helpful! Thanks for doing this!

Just a comment about the Zotero discussion – I’ve been using it for a few semesters now. But, when I first started using Zotero I was completely overwhelmed. However, there are some great YouTube videos that walk through the different things you can do in Zotero. I specifically liked the videos posted by Nicholas Cifuentes-Goodbody. They were super helpful!

Where are we finding DH projects? I’ve been looking through the winners of the Digital Humanities Awards for the past few years. I’ve found some really great ones here.

Thanks for spending a little more time talking about the final project. I feel like I’ll probably want to work by myself. I’ve started narrowing down my dissertation topic to Steinbeck’s nonfiction, so I’m thinking about focusing my final project for this class in that direction.

Daniel – Digital Dubliners: This is a really interesting project. I really like the idea of linking references to songs.

Graphs, Maps, Trees:
Jennifer, I felt exactly the same way! The Graphs section had me completely confused, but I was completely drawn into the Maps section.

“What does he do that can’t be done with words?” This just reminds me of how very much I love reading novels that include maps. While an author may be able to use words to describe a place and its surrounding, there is just something about a visual representation that adds another level of connection and understanding of a text. 

I love the comment that was made about how perspective influences mapping. The example of Scout, Atticus, and Calpurnia all mapping Maycomb from different perspective leads to better understanding of those characters, their experiences, and their feelings.

Didn’t catch the name of the first RP presenter, “Arguments, Evidence, and the Limits of Digital Humanities Studies”
This sounds like an interesting article. I’m interested in the idea of measuring consistency rather than frequency of word usage.

Second RP presenter, article by Blevins:
Interesting idea, looking at different ways of research and studying history; the numbers standpoint or the humanities standpoint? I’m not sure which is the better way to approach the study of history, but I think both could provide interesting and insightful perspectives.

Greg, “Humane Digital” (?) by Burke:
I love the emphasis on the “slow learning of life experiences”!

I didn’t catch an Easter Egg this week; hope I didn’t miss it

Comments

  1. No easter egg this week. Shoot! We'll have to get one in there this time. So glad the checklist was helpful, and thanks for your excellent recommendations regarding Zotero tutorials and the DH Winners. I'll def share both of those.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts Before Class - Week 3

Before the semester I really had no idea what digital humanities was. Then, after our first class meeting, I went from knowing absolutely nothing about digital humanities to becoming extremely overwhelmed. At this point, after making my way through some of the readings over the past couple of weeks, I feel like I'm starting to have a little better understanding of what the term means and what the field consists of. I have also quickly learned that the field of DH is extremely broad and reaches many different disciplines, but also offers lots of opportunities for interdisciplinary connection. The readings for this week include the introductions to The Emergence of the Digital Humanities and Doing Digital Humanities . I read The Emergence of the Digital Humanities first and was a little surprised at the detail and attention given to 3D Printers. And while I may not have completely understood the whole point the author was trying to make, one particular idea did resonate with me. ...

New Digital Worlds - Roopika Risam

So, I was scrolling through #AcademicTwitter the other day and I stumbled across Roopika Risam's twitter account . After reading New Digital Worlds , I obviously had to check it out. It turns out, she has a very active Twitter presence. She shares a lot of information about her own scholarly work as well as interesting work by other similar scholars.  I felt a little bit like an academic fangirl when I stumbled across her account, and I thought some of you guys might also want to check her out. 

More Thoughts About The Final Project

I've been thinking about my final project a lot lately. And, as I've mentioned before, I'm working with John Steinbeck and his biographical and non-fiction works. I haven't been able to find many digital projects specifically about Steinbeck, and I was a little worried that I might not have a clear enough idea of exactly what I want to do. I've mentioned before that I'm going back and forth between the ideas of a timeline project or a mapping project.  In class, Katie shared a really great timeline project, the Victorian Women Writers Project. I was super excited to see this project because it was really similar to the timeline ideas I have for my Steinbeck project. I spent a little time looking around this website and I was thinking about how I could adapt this to my own ideas. But, although this timeline is really helpful, I still can't shake the mental images I have for a mapping project.  So, as Dr. Carter mentioned in class, I started looking aroun...