DH Presentations
Greg, Interactive Visual Bibliography: Describing Corpora
·
Super cool project.
·
This seems like it could be helpful when looking
for connections between authors and certain topics. The visual mapping shows
connections that might not otherwise be so easily identifiable.
·
I bet there are some interesting connections
that you probably wouldn’t even expect that show up if you poke around enough.
·
I, too, could probably easily get sucked into a rabbit
hole in this site.
Jennifer, Electronic Beowulf
·
The printed pages right next to the typed-out
text is interesting.
·
Seems like you could make a whole lesson plan
for Beowulf from just these resources and the other resources it connects you
to.
Final Project
I really want to work with this idea of maps and how certain
people/events/locations intersect in (sometimes) surprising ways. As I stated
in my previous post, I’m planning on doing something with Steinbeck. In reading
his non-fiction and biographical works it quickly becomes apparent that he had
a lot of connections with figures in Hollywood, politics, and other important
historical events of the twentieth century. I’ve only been able to find a few
digital projects related to Steinbeck, and the ones that I have found seems to
be a little narrower than what I thinking about and looking for.
I ABSOLUTELY love the idea jumps that Jennifer makes from Beowulf
to dragon literature! I want more of that! LoL! That sounds so very
interesting!
Donald Duck
I’m definitely going to have to go back and watch again. I
was too focused on watching the cartoon itself and I didn’t even notice all
the other information being provided in the other boxes on the page.
Rhetorical Precis
Brian - “A Brief Note on Moretti and Science Fiction”: I
think there is a lot of value in the ideas that Moretti suggests. However, I
also think SF is a good example of the exception to the rule. Just as in many
cases, the “rule” may apply most of the time, but there are always exceptions.
Jennifer – “Judging Books by Their Covers”: I think that for
many authors luck is a factor in their success. I guess luck could be defined
in a few different ways. For some authors it just so happened that they were
writing the right thing at the right time. For others, they just happened to get
picked up by the right person (Oprah?). But, I also agree that this is not the
case for everyone.
Moretti and Graph
Maps and Trees
I like the idea that Moretti is giving “permission” rather than
“rules” to think in these ways. I tend to be a visual person, so anytime I can put
a clear visual picture together I feel like I get a better understanding of the
text. In reading his “Maps” section, I never got the impression that he was
suggesting that the only correct way to use maps is the way he suggests. But, I
think he opens up and introduces a new way of using maps to analyze literary
texts. The more I think about Moretti and his ideas about maps, the more I
think of specific books that I have read that I would like to go back to and
map as I re-read.
I LOVE your plans for this Steinbeck project!
ReplyDelete